There was pandemonium at the campus of Ho College of Nursing on Saturday when eight students were electrocuted during preparations for the inauguration of a school building.
The students were re-positioning a canopy when the metal tip of the canopy accidentally touched a high tension electric transmission line causing them to fall down instantly.
The situation took persons who had gathered for the commissioning of the two storey classroom block for the training college by surprise with some fleeing the scene.
The second year students whose names were not readily available reportedly sustained various degrees of burns and are receiving treatment at the Volta Regional Hospital.
EYE WITNESS REPORT
According to an eye-witness, ‘we saw the students re-locating the canopy and then suddenly they all fell down and were not moving. People then rushed to their rescue and immediately conveyed them to the hospital’.
‘It was indeed shocking and frightening but we thank God no one died’, he said.
Some of the people who were mainly National Democratic Congress (NDC) sympathisers had organised a prayer session for the victims to avert any calamity.
The commissioning of the classroom block initiated by the Ho Central Member of Parliament, Mr. Benjamin Kpodo was nearly called off as the incident delayed the start of the programme for over two hours. The programme had been planned to start at 2:00pm
The Minister of Health, Mr. Alex Segbefia who was at the function, MP and other dignitaries visited the students at the hospital with assurance to assist in the payment of their medical bills.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK FOR ALL YOUR NEWS UPDATES