false Facebook post that caused the war in South Sudan
A false Facebook post from Press Secretary of South Sudan’s Vice President Riek Machar account is to blame for the death of the 272 soldiers according to South Sudan Embassy in Nairobi.
The country’s embassy claims an official in the joint administration, James Gatdet, allegedly told Machar’s army through the update that he had been detained by President Salva Kiir forces at the palace.
The message was instantly acted upon by the army causing the deaths in the capital Juba.
“On 8th July, 2016, the SPLA-IO forces Spokesman James Gatdet, Press Secretary of Riek Machar created and spread rumours that their leader Dr Riek Machar Teny was under arrest.” Ajongo said at a press briefing,
“This was false, because Machar was attending a security briefing meeting with President Kiir, Vice President James Wani and other senior government officials at the J1 (presidential palace).”
According to Ajongo, a member of the Machar’s troops forced his way into the palace after the post on Friday and was injured in the process.
“One of the officers came into the palace and wanted to force his way through the doors to where the meeting was taking place. He was denied access to the building. He then shot the officer and the fighting broke out,” the envoy claimed.
Machar, however, was attending a security briefing meeting with President Salva Kiir, Vice President James Wani and other senior government officials at the J1, which is the presidential palace.
The meeting was being held after five soldiers of President Kiir were killed on Thursday allegedly by Sudan People Liberation Army In Opposition (SPLA-IO).
The fierce battle started just around the same time that the country was about to celebrate its independence day.