Well, these are Ten Compelling Facts About Iran(formerly Persia) You Never Knew.–Iran facts
- Iran facts–Iran was formerly called persia until 1979 when their monarchy was overthrown and religious clerics assumed political power under supreme leader Ayatollah Khomeini.
2. The capital city of Iran is Tehran, which means, “warm slope.” Nearly 12 million people live there.
3. Couples in Iran that want a marriage license are required to take an hour-long lecture on contraception.
4. About 14.3% of Iranians are obese, making it the 41st most obese country in the world.
5. There is only one river in Iran, the Karun, which may be navigated by boat.
6. Iran pumps nearly 4 million barrels of oil each day.
7. Men in Iran who do not marry stay with their natal family their entire life and are described as na-mard (not-men).
8. Most homes in Iran do not have tables and chairs. Instead, families sit on cushions on the floor to have their meals.
9. In 1993, the Iranian Parliament approved legislation that “principle promoters” of pornography could face the death penalty.
10. The Iranian cat is one of the oldest breeds.